Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Solution for yanking a liveusb drive out

 Regarding Live Distros,  Knoppix has a "to ram" option, where it copies the compressed file system to ram, and then the media can be removed.

I can't use that on my system because I only have 1gb ram.

Knoppix can create a swap file on a windows volume. (and use another system's swap partition)  I don't want my users to mess up their windows disks.  Yes, they can mount them and write to them, but I don't want accidents.


A solution would be to split the compressed filesystem into two parts.  one that gets loaded into ram, and another that stays on the liveusb drive.

/bin
/root
/etc
(maybe a few of the core applications, like xwindows, and some sort of alert programs, and maybe cheat with a web browser in there so it loads quickly)

and then another with all the rest.

If the system volume gets yanked, a program should pause everything... like a pause for hibernation.  Hopefully the programs will be able to deal with a minor glitch.  If they can't it's a bug.


Then a nice big alert should show,   REINSERT USB DRIVE TO BEGIN DATA RECONSTRUCTION, SYSTEM SUSPENDED, DATA IS LIKELY CORRUPTED






No comments: